Born on July 27 1962, in Glengoffe, north east St Catherine, some 22 miles out of Kingston, Owen Lloyd Ellington was appointed Police Commissioner April 5, 2010.
He is the 27th Police Commissioner of Jamaica.
Mr. Ellington is a past student of the Glengoffe High School and was enlisted in the force on the August, 1, 1980.
He is the holder of a Bachelor of Science in human resource management from the University of Technology Jamaica and a Master of Science in national security and strategic studies from the University of the West Indies.
Mr Ellington also earned professional certificates from numerous universities abroad, including a certificate in national security and strategy from the University of Beijing, China and a postgraduate certificate in transnational security, stability and democracy from the National Defence University Centre for Hemispheric Defence Studies in Washington DC, USA.
Events under his stewardship
– The West Kingston Incursion May 2010 – when security forces went after the former strongman Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke, for extradition to the United States.
– The Major Organized Crime and Anti-Corruption Task Force, MOCA, was officially launched on Monday, June 4, 2012
– On November 22, 2013 – Jamaicans for Justice, JFJ, called for the resignation of the Police Commissioner, Owen Ellington saying he has failed to keep the murder rate under control; failed to improve the police clear-up rate for murder; and has presided over the highest cumulative rate of police fatal shootings ever seen in Jamaica.
– January 19, 2014: Police Death Squad – A RETIRED cop and a serving police officer have broken the unwritten vow of silence within the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) to reveal how, they claim, cold-blooded killings are ordered by senior officers.
– May 16, 2014 – The merger of the Island Special Constabulary Force, ISCF, and the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) is a done deal
– Removed in excess of 400 to 600 officers from the organisation for unethical behaviour.
2010 = 1, 442;
2011 = 1, 125
2012 = 1, 097
2013 = 1, 200
Ellington is married and has 5 children.