Bullock-DuCasse on the Defensive

50

Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Marion Bullock-Ducasse, is defending her decision not to inform Health Minister, Dr. Fenton Ferguson, about the current outbreak of the bacterial infections at the University Hospital despite being told of cases affecting the institution on September 7.

The UHWI says it wrote to Bullock DuCasse on September 7 informing her of an outbreak of infections in its Neonatal Special Care and Intensive Care units, which resulted in the deaths of several babies.

According to the University, Dr. Bullock DuCasse did not reply until September 21.

At a post-Cabinet press briefing this morning, Bullock DuCasse said she did not take any action at that time as her information was that the infections had already been contained.

Dr. Ferguson says he first became aware of the infection outbreak on October 16 – the same day it was reported by Nationwide News.

While addressing the Jamaica House media briefing today, Dr. Ducasse was questioned about her failure to immediately inform the Health Minister of cases of the deadly infection outbreak at the UHWI.

The Chief Medical Officer was also asked about word that there are plans for her to proceed on early retirement.

[audio_mp3 url=”http://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Ducasse-on-retirement-and-why-she-did-not-tell-the-Minister.mp3″]

Dr. Ducasse says there was no need for her to inform Dr. Ferguson of cases of the Klebsiellia and Serratia bacteria which she was reportedly told on September 7 had been affecting the University Hospital.

[audio_mp3 url=”http://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Ducasse-says-no-obligation-to-inform-Ferguson.mp3″]

Dr. Ducasse also declined to comment on calls for her resignation as the country’s Chief Medical Officer.

[audio_mp3 url=”http://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Ducasse-on-her-future.mp3″]

— 30 —



Abka Fitz-Henley is a multiple award-winning journalist who is currently the Senior Reporter at Nationwide News Network (NNN). His primary areas of focus are Court, Crime and Parliamentary proceedings. Fitz-Henley was recently recognized in the regional celebrity magazine publication Panache as “The Breaking News Boss”. At 21 years of age, following his 1st year in media, Fitz-Henley was recognized with the Young Journalist of the year award from The Press Association of Jamaica and went on to cop one of the country’s highest recognized journalism prizes, the Journalist of the Year Award. He’s also been awarded the prestigious Corporate Jamaica Broilers Fairplay 1st place Award for investigative journalism and is the recipient of the Caribbean Blog Award for coverage of the infamous Kartel murder trial. Fitz-Henley is also the recipient of the PM Youth Award for Excellence. Over the years, he has appeared as a guest on the BBC World Service and BBC London.


One thought on “Bullock-DuCasse on the Defensive

  1. J victor

    Poor line of questioning, It has come to public understanding that yourself and The permanent secretary have a exceptionally good relationship. Is he your source of information from inside the ministry?

Comments are closed.