‘Chucky’ Brown Pleas Self-Defense in 2012 Police Killing


Police Constable, Collis ‘Chucky’ Brown, says he acted in self-defence when he was part of a Police team which shot and killed Andrew Fearon and Dwayne Douglas in Clarendon in 2012.

Brown is accused of murdering both men. He’s also accused of murdering Robert ‘Gutty’ Dawkins in 2009. Constable Brown addressed the Home Circuit Court in Kingston today. He denied having anything to do with the killing of Dawkins.

The accused police constable gave an unsworn statement to the court from the dock. He began addressing the jury by saying – “Good Morning. I am Collis Brown, Constable of Police. I am attached to the Services Branch in Kingston”.

Brown told the court – “as it relates to the shooting death of Robert Dawkins o/c Gutty I did not have anything to do with it. I never shot and killed Robert Dawkins”.

Constable Brown then turned his attention to allegations that in 2012 as part of a police death squad he murdered Andrew Fearon and Dwayne Douglas in an area of Clarendon known as Swansea.

Brown told the court – “In relation to the Swansea incident. I received information from my superior at the time who was an SSP and proceeded to a location with my colleagues”.

The constable said a vehicle in which Fearon and Douglas were travelling was spotted and stopped by the police. Brown said Fearon and Douglas hurriedly exited the vehicle.

According to Brown, one of the men came from the rear of the vehicle and opened gunfire at him and his colleagues.

Brown said he and his colleagues returned the fire. He told the court – “after the shooting ended, the two men were seen on the ground with gunshot wounds. They had two firearms. The scene was processed and I proceeded to the May Pen Police station”.

Constable Brown then addressed an allegation made by a prosecution witness last week that he, Brown, said two Dons are among his bosses.

Brown referred to the witness by name and said – “I had no conversation with him. Neither did I speak with him at the Horizon Remand Centre. Neither did I tell him that I work for any Dons”.

Earlier, during his unsworn statement, Constable Brown denied that he first approached INDECOM in 2013 to have a conversation about alleged activities by the police in Clarendon.

Brown said he had a conversation with a human rights advocate in 2013. He says a few days after that conversation he was contacted via phone by an INDECOM investigator and invited to a meeting. Brown said he agreed to attend the meeting.

The constable says he was asked by INDECOM to record information which implicated his police colleagues and superiors in wrongdoing.

Constable Brown told the court that when he did not succeed in obtaining the recording, he was arrested by INDECOM and charged with murder.

Brown then told Presiding Judge Vivienne Harris and the six-member jury – that is my statement. Brown spoke calmly and clearly for approximately 18-minutes. During his address, 1 juror made notes.

The other five looked in the direction of the dock where Brown stood and addressed the Court.

The trial of Constable Brown has been adjourned until Tuesday morning at 10. Then, Constable Brown’s defence team is scheduled to call a character witness. The defence is then expected to close its case.

Justice Harris will then review the evidence. After which, the case will be referred to the jury for a verdict.

Constable Brown is accused of three counts of murder, conspiracy to murder and wounding with intent. He’s being represented by Norman Godfrey.

Queen’s Counsel Caroline Hay is prosecuting on behalf of INDECOM.