Heads Roll at UHWI

The two most senior managers at the University Hospital of the West Indies, UHWI, have resigned amid the dead babies scandal engulfing the Simpson Miller-administration.

Chief Executive Officer of the UHWI, Dr. Cecil Whyte and the hospital’s Medical Chief of Staff, Professor Dr. Trevor McCartney have resigned.

The resignations come following a revelation that since June at least 18-babies have died from an infection outbreak at the UHWI and Cornwall Regional Hospital.

Chairman of the Board of Directors of the University Hospital, Sterling Soares has confirmed that Dr. Whyte and Professor McCartney have resigned.

But he says the resignations do not take immediate effect.

Mr. Soares says both men resigned on Monday, following a board meeting last Saturday.

He says the dead babies scandal was discussed and tough questions were asked.

It’s the duty of the UHWI Chairman to report to the Health Minister on happenings at one of the country’s premier health facilities.

In a statement last week, the hospital’s management and board conceded that it violated protocol by not updating Health Minister Dr. Fenton Ferguson about the deadly outbreak of the Klebsiella and Serratia bacteria, which killed several babies.

Mr. Soares explains that it would be unreasonable for him to resign over the issue.

He says he only took office on October 14, two days before Nationwide Radio broke the story about babies dying due to the infections.

— 30 —