Health Ministry Reports Five Dengue-Related Deaths in 2019

158

There have been five suspected cases of dengue-related deaths so far this year.

That’s the diagnosis from the Health Ministry on the latest dengue outbreak in the country.

Dr Jacqueline Bissasor McKenzie is the country’s Chief Medical Officer, CMO.

[audio_mp3 url=”http://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/dr-bissasor-mckenzie-dengue-stats-for-2019-jan-18-19-.mp3″]

Dr. Bissasor McKenzie says although the numbers are below the monthly threshold for dengue this month, the country remains in outbreak mode.

The outbreak threshold for January is 228. She says keeping track of the numbers is critical and challenging at times.

[audio_mp3 url=”http://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/cmo-on-timing-the-figures-jan-18-19-.mp3″]

In the meantime, statistics from the Health Minister have revealed that children and young adults account for the bulk of suspected dengue-related deaths between January 1, 2018 and yesterday, January 17, 2019.

[audio_mp3 url=”http://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/cmo-on-dengue-deaths-kids-jan-18-19-.mp3″]

Dr Bissasor- McKenzie says the ministry has ramped up it’s public awareness efforts.

[audio_mp3 url=”http://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/CMO-beepfing-up-dengue-aawareness-jan-18-19-.mp3″]

-30-




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *