Nationwide News understands that a wanted man has been taken into custody in relation to the major gun shipment that was intercepted at a terminal in Kingston two days ago.
Our news centre understands the man was taken into custody following an operation in Portmore last evening. The man is believed to have been the intended recipient of the 20 guns and nearly 800 rounds of ammunition seized earlier this week.
On Tuesday, the Constabulary’s Counter-Terrorism and Organized Crime Investigation Branch, C-TOC, said the seizure occurred during a joint operation with the Contraband Enforcement Team of Jamaica Customs. It included four high-powered rifles, one sub-machine gun, nine pistols, six revolvers and 791 assorted rounds of ammunition.
Head of the St. Catherine South Police, Senior Superintendent Clive Blair, confirmed that a man was taken into custody following an operation in the division last evening. He says a Mac-90 rifle was also seized during the operation. But, SSP Blair says he’s unable to confirm if the man is linked with the gun seizure at the terminal in Kingston.
Nationwide News understands the shipment arrived on the wharf from the United States over a week ago. It’s understood anomalies were discovered when the shipment was scanned.
A sting operation was set up to detain the intended recipient, but, the person never turned up to claim the shipment. Our news team understands an intelligence-led operation was conducted last evening, where the suspect was taken into custody.
Meanwhile, our News Centre understands that another rifle was seized at the terminal in Kingston.Our sources say this latest seizure is also linked to the 20 guns that were seized at the same terminal on Tuesday. It’s understood that the rifle and more than 30-rounds of ammunition were seized during a secondary search of the shipping container. This would bring the total number of guns seized to 21 and the total number of bullets to more than 8-hundred.