Nearly 30 In Custody Following ‘Operation Restore Paradise’ in St. James

759

Nearly 30 people have been taken into custody under a multi- agency crackdown operation in Montego Bay, St. James aimed at restoring order in the tourist city.

The disclosure was made by Mayor of Montego Bay Homer Davis during a press conference held at the St. James Municipal Corporation yesterday.
The exercise has been dubbed  ‘Operation Restore Paradise’.

The agencies participating in the operation include the Jamaica Public Service, JPS, the National Water Commission, NWC, and the National Environment and Planning Agency, NEPA.

The Mayor says between last Monday and yesterday the enforcing authorities also issued over 1,000 traffic tickets and seized over a million single use plastic bags.

The NWC and JPS also disconnected over 500 illegal connections.


Chief Public Health Inspector for St James, Lenox Wallace says before the operation there were areas they couldn’t visit.

The St. James Health Department is among the agencies participating in the exercise to restore law and order in the Western city.

During the operations, some 75 business establishments and 39 vendors were visited and checked.

This resulted in 16 establishments being closed and 29 notices being served for various public health breaches.

Mr Wallace added that over $400-thousand worth of food that wasn’t fit for consumption was seized and destroyed.



In 2018, Tauna won the UNICEF Media Award for Excellence in Reporting on Children’s Rights. She graduated from CARIMAC in 2015 and joined NNN in 2016. Since then, she’s covered several high-profile court cases including the X6 murder trial, the police death squad trial and is currently covering the Uchence Wilson Gang trial. Thomas is the Producer of Talking History heard on Nationwide Radio every Saturday.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *