New FLA Board to be In Place Next Week

National Security Minister, Robert Montague, told the House of Representatives yesterday that new Board for the Firearm Licensing Authority, FLA, is to be in place by next week.

He gave that update as he outlined steps being taken to improve operations at the scandal-hit organization.

The FLA has been without a board since August 2. The entire Board resigned amid a scandal over the issuance of gun licenses to people deemed unfit, including criminals.

The National Security Ministry last month issued a statement, saying Cabinet had approved a new Board. However, it later withdrew that statement.

In follow up statements, Minister Montague said Cabinet only discussed the appointment of the board but had not finalized its decision.

Prime Minister, Andrew Holness, said the first statement announcing a new Board was ‘premature’.

–30–