Registration Process for Compensation of Coral Gardens Survivors Begins this Weekend

1374

Executive Director of Jamaicans of Justice, JFJ, Rodje Malcolm says a compensation framework has been agreed on for the victims of the Coral Gardens tragedy in 1963.

The human rights lobby group is representing the Rastafari Coral Gardens Benevolent Society.

The agreed payment structure comes after newspaper reports that two years after Prime Minister Andrew Holness apologised to the victims, no money had been disbursed to them.

He says the registration process for survivors who qualify for compensation will begin over the weekend.

Mr. Malcolm says he expects disbursement of the funds to take place within 4-weeks.

Rodje Malcolm, Executive Director of Jamaicans for Justice, JFJ. He was speaking on Nationwide This Morning with Kalilah Reynolds and Patria-Kaye Aarons.

Mr. Malcolm says between 36 and 50 survivors could qualify for compensation.

Rodje Malcolm, Executive Director of Jamaicans for Justice.




In 2018, Tauna won the UNICEF Media Award for Excellence in Reporting on Children’s Rights. She graduated from CARIMAC in 2015 and joined NNN in 2016. Since then, she’s covered several high-profile court cases including the X6 murder trial, the police death squad trial and is currently covering the Uchence Wilson Gang trial. Thomas is the Producer of Talking History heard on Nationwide Radio every Saturday.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *