Transport Minister Urges JUTC to Cooperate with OCG

Transport Minister, Mike Henry, has instructed the Board and Management of the Jamaica Urban Transit Company, JUTC, to provide the Office of the Contractor General with all the information they need regarding the contract with Millennium Security Limited, MSL.

This follows an emergency meeting with JUTC Managing Director, Paul Abrahams and Chairman Russell Hadeed on Sunday.

Last week, Opposition spokesman on Transport, Mikael Phillips, alleged that the management awarded a 50 million dollar contract to MSL in breach of Government procurement guidelines.

He also called for the Managing Director and Board to resign.

According to a statement from the JUTC yesterday, Minister Henry was briefed about the arrangement with MSL during yesterday’s meeting.

Minister Henry says the Board and Management of the JUTC retain his confidence and they will cooperate fully with the investigation by the Office of the Contractor General.

He says he anticipates a speedy and thorough investigation so that the management, board and staff can concentrate on doing their jobs.

He adds that with the matter the subject of an investigation by the Contractor General, the Board, management and himself will not engage in any further public comment on the issue.

–30–