The trial of the alleged members of the Uchence Wilson-led gang is set to get underway on January 7, next year.
Justice Georgiana Frazier made the ruling this afternoon in the Supreme Court in Downtown, Kingston. She says the trial should be completed before the close of the Hilary Term of the court, which goes from January 7 to April 21.
One of the defense attorneys, C.J Mitchell, raised objections to the judge’s ruling, arguing for an earlier commencement of the trial.
Mr. Mitchell told the court the defendants would have been detained for more than a year when the trial eventually starts next year.
The alleged members of the Uchence Wilson-led gang were arrested in November and December last year.
In response, Justice Frazier told Mr. Mitchell that the court doesn’t have the resources to facilitate the trial before the beginning of the Hilary Term.
Justice Frazier says there’s another multiple-defendant case to be tried during this term of the court.
Twenty-four alleged members of the gang appeared before the court. Twenty-three of the alleged gangsters were remanded until September 18.
The only alleged member of the gang who was granted bail, Tashina Beckford, had her bail extended until September 18.
All 24 will appear before the court again on September 18 for a pre-trial hearing.
Meanwhile, the loved ones of some of the alleged gangsters are expressing their frustration with the length of the time their loved ones have been detained before the start of their trial.
A woman, who identified herself as Sharon, is one of them. She spoke with our News Centre following today’s hearing.
She was speaking with Nationwide News in the courtyard of the Supreme Court today.