The original file containing a question and answer document as well as the caution statement of Michael McLean, the man accused of killing six people in St Thomas, cannot be found.
This was revealed yesterday by the Crown’s ninth witness, Detective Inspector Carlton James.
During his evidence-in-chief, the Detective Inspector said up to last week the file hadn’t been located.
One of the documents being referred to is a ‘Victim Statement’ which was given by McLean on the day he was arrested by the police in Old Harbour in Kingston. That was Monday February 27, 2006; a day after the bodies of five of the victims were found in St. Thomas.
McLean was arrested after calling Superintendent of Police, Charmaine Shand, who is now Head of the Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse, CISOCA.
Superintendent Shand was the Crown’s eighth witness yesterday.
During her evidence-in-chief, the Superintendent said McLean who called her ‘Charmy’ contacted her Monday morning at about 7:25 and told her he ‘wanted her to take him in’ to custody.
Superintendent Shand says she grew up with the accused in the parish – they were neighbours.
McLean was picked up that day in Kingston and taken back to the Morant Bay police station in St. Thomas where he started giving a ‘victim statement.’
Meanwhile, Detective Inspector James testified that when McLean was brought into the station’s Criminal Investigation Branch,CIB, office, he declared that he would work with the police.
Mr. James says McLean was giving a ‘victim statement’ because what he was saying implicated others and not himself.
However, this had to be halted as a mob came to the police station wanting to attack McLean.
The Detective Inspector testified that using what he describes as a ‘diversion tactic’, they were able to move McLean back to Kingston. He said McLean completed his statement at the Central police station – cooperating fully and signing the handwritten document.
The statement was subsequently typed and copies made.
The Detective Inspector told the court the original, hand-written statement was handed over to head of the CIB unit at the time while he kept the typed copy.
A question and answer session was also done in the presence of his attorney on March 15, 2006. However, the original files cannot be found.
The defence has indicated that it plans to object to the admission of the copies of the files.
The Crown plans to present written submissions today with authorities to help in its case for the admission of the statements.