The Andrew Holness administration says it has dispatched a strongly worded letter to Prime Minister Keith Rowley’s government of Trinidad and Tobago demanding an end to the persistent abuse of Jamaicans who visit the twin island republic.

Foreign Affairs Minister, Senator Kamina Johnson-Smith, says the urgent intervention of CARICOM has also been sought on the matter.

Senator Johnson Smith says Trinidad and Tobago is guilty of not abiding by commitments it made to improve its treatment of persons denied entry.

[audio_mp3 url=”https://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Johnson-Smith-says-Trinidad-violation-April-13-2016.mp3″]

The Foreign Affairs Minister says a strongly worded letter has been sent to Trinidad and Tobago.

Mrs. Johnson Smith says the correspondence was sent last Friday shortly after she had a meeting with Trinidad’s Foreign Minister, Dennis Moses.

[audio_mp3 url=”https://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Johnson-Smith-says-strong-letter-April-13-2016.mp3″]

Senator Johnson-Smith gave details of concerns raised by Jamaicans.

[audio_mp3 url=”https://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Johnson-Smith-on-issues-raised-in-letter.mp3″]

The Foreign Affairs Minister says the Cabinet of Trinidad and Tobago is expected to discuss the issues next week.

[audio_mp3 url=”https://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Johnson-Smith-hopeful-.mp3″]

Senator Johnson-Smith says if current trends continue the number of Jamaicans denied entry into Trinidad this year is set to surpass last year’s figure.

The Foreign Affairs Minister says the formal intervention of CARICOM has been sought.

[audio_mp3 url=”https://nationwideradiojm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Smith-says-caricom-to-discuss.mp3″]

— 30 —