The Ministry of Health has activated its response plan as the country is now battling a dengue outbreak.
News broke on Saturday that Jamaica surpassed the dengue epidemic threshold for July and August and is on a trajectory to do so for the month of September.
The health ministry notes that this is an increase in the number of cases compared to what is normally seen during these months of the year.
According figures released by the ministry, as of September 22, 2023, the country had recorded 565 suspected, presumed and confirmed cases of dengue. Of that, 78 cases had been confirmed with the majority of cases seen in Kingston and St. Andrew, St. Catherine and St. Thomas.
The dominant strain is dengue type 2, which last predominated in 2010. There are no dengue-related deaths at this time, however, six deaths are being investigated.
Meanwhile, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jacqueline Bisasor-McKenzie says children are the persons now at severe risk.
Meanwhile Dr Bisasor-McKenzie is advising parents to pay special attention to the items that have been prescribed to treat dengue.
She said the advice of doctors should be carefully followed.
Chief Medical Officer Dr Jacqueline Bisasor McKenzie.
And Health Minister Dr. Christopher Tufton said the NSWMA, schools, hospitals and the blood bank will play a crucial role in the fight to contain the spread of the disease.