The testimony of an American forensic consultant has been postponed in the ongoing murder trial of three soldiers accused of killing businessman, Keith Clarke in May 2010.

Matthew Noedel’s testimony in the Supreme Court was halted on Tuesday following an objection from the defence.

Robian Williams was in court.

Matthew Noedel was hired by the United States Agency for International Development, USAID, to consult on matters concerning the 2010 Tivoli incursion.

The forensic expert testified that he came to Jamaica on November 11, 2012.

He told the court that he test-fired three rifles at the request of the Independent Commission of Investigations, INDECOM.

The crown asked Mr. Noedel if he could refresh his memory using his notes to give ballistics information about the rifles he test-fired. 

However, defense attorney King’s Counsel Valerie Neita Robertson objected to his testimony.

She noted that that a proper foundation was not laid to accept his evidence.

KC Neita Robertson, who is representing Lance Corporal Greg Tinglin, took issue with the chain of custody of the rifles Mr. Noedel claimed he test fired. 

Presiding judge Justice, Dale Palmer, then stopped the proceedings and asked the jury to leave the courtroom. 

KC Neita Robertson and the prosecutor, Latoya Bernard, then engaged in a lengthy and heated exchange before Justice Palmer called the jurors back.

He then dismissed the jury.

Justice Palmer then ordered that Mr. Noedel’s testimony be halted until he’s able to review the exhibits to make a ruling. 

The decision to halt the proceedings for the day came after a morning filled with legal arguments and jury exemptions from the proceedings. 

The soldiers, Lance Corporal Greg Tinglin, Corporal Odel Buckley, and Private Arnold Henry, have been on trial since May 14 this year.

The trial was estimated to last for four to six weeks. 

But the trial has encountered several delays due to jury shortage and legal arguments confined to the judge. 

The trial will resume on Wednesday morning at 10.