Post Master General, Michael Gentles, says noxious fumes affecting staff at the Central Sorting Office in Kingston is not unique to the CSO and could continue to affect the entity’s employees.

This as authorities say they were unable to identify the source of the fumes which has been a longstanding issue.

Meanwhile, Chief Public Health Inspector for Kingston and St Andrew, Winnifred Meeks, says despite carrying out tests, the authorities have not been able to determine the type of gas that has been affecting the CSO staff. But, Ms Meeks says the tests have concluded that the fumes are were within levels considered normal.

Workers at the Kingston-based Central Sorting Office told our news centre that they were fearful and often sick as a result of long-term exposure to the fumes.

Post Master General Michael Gentles says the fumes are not coming from the building as is being suggested.

And, while he was unable to say the number of staff members who have been affected over the years, Mr Gentles says plans are in place to protect employees from future exposure which he says is affecting the area.

The Post Master General says there are no gurantees that the CSO staff will not be affected by the fumes in the future.

Meanwhile, Chief Public Health Inspector for Kingston and St Andrew, Winnifred Meeks, says the public health department was first informed about the issue on May 14 after two CSO staff members fell ill following alleged exposure to the noxious fumes.

Ms Meeks says tests were conducted which revealed that the fumes were not hazardous.

Up to May 29, the source of the fumes were not identified. She says they still don’t know which gases were present in the building last month, but that a repeat would demand a multi-agency report from the CSO.