The family of a police Constable who died after being shot and injured on the job say they’re not ruling out filing a lawsuit against the state.

This after they say doctors in Miami attributed his death to an infection caused by bedsores.

His mother, a 70-year-old widow, told Nationwide News that neglect at the Kingston Public Hospital led to the infectious sores.

More in this report from Neika Lewis.

To Ms Molly, Constable Dean Thomas was the youngest of her four children affectionately called Gilly.

He joined the police force at 18 years old where he served until his death at 36.

He was stationed at the Hunt’s Bay Police Station, when he was shot and  injured on the job.

Superintendent Gary Francis is the Commander for the St Andrew South Police Division.

Superintendent Francis spoke to our newscentre on July 25 the same day the Constable died in hospital in Miami, Florida.

He says the entire police force was in mourning at the passing of the constable he called a stalwart.

But for Ms Molly, the pain will last a lifetime and for several reasons.

She alleges her son developed several bedsores at KPH which later infected his blood.

The Clarendon woman says despite efforts by the family to secure medication to treat the sores, the hospital refused to consider the treatment until it was too late.

She says while she got help from the Police Federation, there were many delays.

The Constable’s body is to be flown back to the country by the weekend.
Ms Molly says the focus is the funeral but she’s not ruling out a lawsuit against the hospital.

Efforts to get a response from the Senior Medical Officer at the Kingston

Public Hospital, Dr Natalie Whylie this afternoon proved futile.

Meanwhile, a voice note circulating after the passing of Constable Thomas suggested that more could have been done by the KPH to save the Policeman’s life.

It also suggested that several delays led to his passing overseas.

But, Head of the St Andrew South Division, Superintendent Gary Francis is refuting the claims.

He says the entire police force was shocked at news of the Constable’s passing and has been mourning the loss of their colleague.

Superintendent Francis is also asking persons with information to come forward to help find the Constable’s attackers.

Superintendent Gary Francis, Head of the St Andrew South Police Division, speaking recently with Nationwide News.