US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says the UN Security Council’s vote in favour of a US backed proposal for a ceasefire in Gaza has made it clear that the world supports the plan.

Hamas has welcomed the deal.

Blinken says Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reaffirmed his commitment to the proposal when they met late Monday.

Blinken’s latest visit to the region, his eighth since Hamas’ October 7 attack ignited the war, is focused on rallying support for the cease-fire proposal, boosting the entry of humanitarian aid and advancing postwar plans for Gaza’s governance.

The proposal, announced by President Joe Biden last month, calls for a three-phased plan in which Hamas would release the rest of the hostages in exchange for a lasting cease-fire and the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza.

The group is still holding around 1-hundred-and-20 hostages, but a third of that number is believed to be dead.