A member of the Constabulary was sentenced yesterday to 9-years behind bars after being found guilty of illegal possession of firearm and ammunition in the Gun Court.

Fifty-three-year-old, Corporal Devon Miller, was taken into custody after being caught with an AK-47 assault rifle, a Tarrus pistol and 15 rounds of ammunition.

He was arrested following a snap raid by members of the Constabulary’s Counter-Terrorism and Organised Crime Investigation Branch, C-TOC, last October.

It was suspected Corporal Miller was transporting the guns for a notorious Portmore, St. Catherine-based Umbrella Gang.

William Mitchell reports.

On October 2 last year, 53-year-old, Corporal Devon Miller was taken into custody by his own colleagues.

Reports are members of C-TOC were acting on information when Corporal Miller’s car was stopped on Myers Lane in Newlands, St. Catherine.

A search of the car turned up an AK-47 assault rifle, a Tarrus pistol and 15 rounds of ammunition.

One year later, Corporal Miller was found guilty in the Gun Court.

He was represented by attorneys Peter Champagnie and Richard Lynch.

During his sentencing, Corporal Miller’s attorneys pleaded for leniency.

The attorneys argued Corporal Miller’s 28 years of service to the Jamaica Constabulary Force should be used as a mitigating circumstance.

The attorneys also pleaded with the judge to take into consideration Corporal Miller’s loss of pension.

The judge eventually handed down a sentence of 9-years for illegal possession of the AK-47 rifle.

For illegal possession of the Tarrus pistol, Corporal Miller was sentenced to 6 years.

And for illegal possession of ammunition, he was sentenced to 2 years.

The sentences will run concurrently, meaning he’ll serve only 9 years.

When Corporal Miller was taken into custody, it was suspected he was transporting weapons for the notorious Umbrella Gang that operated in the New Lands section of the parish.

The week leading up to Corporal Miller’s arrest was marred by several shooting incidents and a number of arrests.

The Umbrella Gang was reportedly warring with rival factions in Tauna and Weetom Lanes.

When Corporal Miller was arrested last year, it wasn’t his first run in with the law.

He was arrested on June 18, 2011 after Detectives from the then Flying Squad raided his house and found 47 rounds of ammunition.

He was acquitted of that charge two years later.

His attorney, Peter Champagnie had successfully argued Corporal Miller, came into possession of the ammunition lawfully.