William Mitchell was in the Supreme Court and files this report.

Four men found guilty of the savage murder of Charmaine Rattray and her 18-year old daughter, Joeth Lynch were slapped with life sentences in the Supreme Court yesterday.

Ms Rattray and her daugther were chopped, shot and beheaded in Lauriston, St. Catherine in 2011.

Just before the sentences were handed down, an emotional relative of the victim told our news centre…quote:
“My sunshine is gone…end quote.”

The relative’s name and gender is being withheld for their protection.

The emotional words were delivered moments before Kemar Riley, Fabian Smith, Rushane Goldson and Adrian Campbell were sentenced to life in prison.

The Crown originally pursued capital punishment but eventually reduced the charge to the lesser crime of murder.

The sentencing hearing for the four men convicted of chopping, shooting and beheading Joeth and her mother Charmaine started on a sober note.

Joeth was known as Crystal and Charmaine known as Gloria.

But to this relative Joeth was Sunshine.

Fighting back tears, the relative detailed the final fearful moments shared with Joeth.

According to the relative, it’s still difficult to reconcile the gruesome act, 8-years later.

The relative said the decapitation of the women robbed them of their dignity.

The men who pleaded guilty are 37-year-old security guard, Adrian Campbell, 28-year-old former representative of the Rivoli Football Club and assistant teacher, Rushane Goldson, and 33-year-old construction worker, Fabian Smith.

Through his attorney, Tameka Harris, Campbell asked presiding judge Viviene Harris to remember that he admitted to his actions and pleaded guilty.

Also through Ms. Harris, Fabian Smith expressed remorse.

He apologized for his role in the murder of Ms. Rattray and her daughter, Joeth.

And, he asked the court to give him another chance.

Through his attorney, Lloyd Shekkleford, Rushane Goldson asked the court for mercy.

Adrian Campbell and Fabian Smith we’re both sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after serving a total of 88 years on both counts.

But the sentences will run concurrently meaning both men will serve only 44 years before being eligible for parole.

Rushane Goldson was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after serving a total of 92 years on both counts.

But, the sentences will run concurrently meaning he’ll be eligible for parole after serving 46 years.

Twenty-nine year old mason, Kemar Riley, was found guilty by a seven member jury having denied involvement in the murders.

But, a witness told the court that Riley admitted to the murders during a conversation while they were in lock-up.

Through his attorney, Lloyd McFarlane, Riley said by virtue of going to trial he has not accepted responsibility for the murders.

But, it appeared he was expressing regret the murders occurred.

Riley has also been sentenced to life with the possibility of parole after serving 102 years in total on both counts.

But both sentences will run concurrently meaning he’ll be eligible for parole after serving 52 years.

Sanja Ducally was also charged with the murder, but he denied involvement.

A no case submission was accepted by the court allowing him to walk free.

On the night of July 19, 2011 armed men invaded the home of the two women and savagely murdered them.

In handing down her sentence, the judge said, to say the women were butchered would be unjust to butchers as animals are  treated more humanely.

When the sentences were handed down, Ms Rattray and her daughter Joeth’s emotional relative breathed a sigh of relief.

Meanwhile…Director of Public Prosecutions, DPP, Paula Llewellyn says the relatives of the slain women believe justice was served in the Supreme Court yesterday.

Speaking during yesterday’s sentencing hearing, Ms. Llewellyn said the aggravating factors in the matter outweighed the mitigating circumstances.

She described the murders as sinister, premeditated and a breach of the human rights of the women.

The prosecutor says the crime was clearly set up to send a message of intimidation to the community as no one was prepared to come forward to the police after the double murder.

She also says the evidence against the men was very strong.

Paula Llewelyn, Director of Public Prosecutions, speaking with the media yesterday.