Presiding judge in the Klansman Gang Trial Chief Justice Bryan Sykes has shot down another attempt by the prosecution to admit into evidence a cellphone that was allegedly used to secretly record the conversations of several accused.

The phone in question is a Black Alcatel cellphone that the second witness said he used to secretly record members of the One Don faction of the Klansman gang.

Last week, the prosecution attempted to enter the phone into evidence. However, it was instead marked for identification.

This after the police witness who is still giving evidence was unable to say the international mobile equipment identity, IMEI, number.

The witness says he used a dial code to obtain the IMEI number but in court last week the phone was not charged.

On Thursday, the witness disclosed to Chief Justice Sykes that the court registrar has charged the phone which would allow him to dial the code and obtain the IMEI number.

The number is unique to every phone.

But the witness and the prosecution hit another hurdle when the phone was turned on. It was discovered that the phone has a password that isn’t known to the police witness.

According to the witness, who is the Lead Investigator in the case, the password would’ve been added by the user who is the second witness in the trial.

In a turn of events, the police witness then uttered that he would be able to identify the unique number as it was also listed on the back of the phone.

Justice Sykes probed how the witness suddenly knew the IMEI number was on the back of the phone but never indicated this before.

The witness explained that he didn’t know previously about the number being on the back of the phone.

He further explained that while observing the phone today, he recognised the last four digits on the back of the phone which are the same numbers he noted in his records as the IMEI number.

However, Justice Sykes said the witness was still unable to demonstrate that the same number on the back of the phone is identical to the one he’d see if the dial code was used.

Justice Sykes declared that he couldn’t move on from this factor and maintained the phone as a marked exhibit for identification.