By Shanaire Russell
Further checks that form part of a Nationwide News investigation has revealed that the government previously gave approval to four private schools to hold face-to face classes.
Yesterday, checks by our news centre unearthed that at least one Corporate Area school, One Way Prep, was holding in-person classes in the midst of one of the worse COVID-19 surges the country has seen.
Education Minister, Fayval Williams, says the approval was given to the schools by the Health Ministry before the Education Ministry announced that there should be no face-to-face classes.
In an interview earlier today with Education Minister, Fayval Williams, she says the Health Ministry gave four private schools its stamp of approval prior to the Education Ministry announcing the official position of no face-to-face classes when schools resume on October 5.
The Minister could not immediately provide the names of the four schools.
The Education Minister says the Permanent Secretary is in dialogue with the schools.
In the meantime, our news centre again visited the Corporate Area-based One Way Prep School.
It’s Principal, Romario Wright, says the school reopened under the approval of the health ministry.
He says the private school resumed face-to-face classes on September 21, 2020.
The One Way Prep Principal says not all its students report for in-person classes.
And, he says parents were willing to send their children to school for three main reasons.
Mr Wright says the school has implemented specific protocols.
According to the One Way Prep Principal, the school’s doors were closed today.
The One Way Prep Principal says going forward, classes will only be facilitated online.