Relatives of two children who perished in a blaze that gutted their house in St James on Friday night, are angry with the mother of the children, who they allege left the children unattended.
It’s reported that the 28-year-old mother went to a party and left her children at home alone in Paradise Norwood in the parish.
Two of the children managed to escape the blaze with injuries.
Councillor for Montego Bay Central, Joshua Cummings, visited the family on Saturday evening and spoke with the children’s Aunt.
Mr Cummings says the children and their mother lived in a board structure attached to their Aunt’s home.
He says the structure did not have electricity.
The children’s mother remains in police custody.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Andrew Holness is urging parents to be vigilant in caring for and supervising their children.
He’s also urging parents and guardians to eliminate fire hazards in their households.
In a statement, the Prime Minister says he’ll be ramping up the distribution of solar lamps to replace the use of open flames as a source of light in low income households.