Health and Wellness Minister, Dr Christopher Tufton’s walking back his ban on travel to and from China.

This as he explains that the country has embarked on a national coordinating mechanism to deal with the novel coronavirus impacting several countries.

Dr Tufton also says 27 people have been sent back to their place of origin for not meeting the heightened landing criteria relating to the virus.

He was speaking at a media briefing in New Kingston today.

Health Minister Dr Christopher Tufton announced the ban on travel to and from China on Friday during a media briefing in Ocho Rios, St Ann.

But speaking at a media briefing today, the Minister says the term “ban” may’ve been extreme.

He says 27 persons have so far been turned away from Jamaica for not meeting the criteria for entry in relation to the heightened restrictions.

Dr Tufton says the travel restrictions which remain in effect will see exemptions only for Jamaican nationals, permanent residents and others with marriage exemptions being granted landing privileges.

Meanwhile, the Health and Wellness Minister says Cabinet has instructed that a National Coordinating Mechanism be put in place to tackle the deadly virus. 

He says the measure will be similar to the one used during the Ebola scare in 2014.

Dr Tufton says there are currently 13 people in quarantine and one in isolation.