The Ministry of Health and Wellness says effective September 11, 2021, there will be a temporary suspension in the administration of first doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

The move comes amid uncertainty regarding the arrival date for the next shipment of the US manufactured vaccine.

Health Minister, Dr. Christopher Tufton, made the announcement on Thursday.

The Ministry has so far delivered just over 100,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine to children and their parents.

Health officials have prioritized administering the Pfizer jab to high school students aged 12-to-18-years-old in an effort to ensure a resumption of face to face classes in October.

The Minister says the timeline between the first and second doses of Pfizer differs from the AztraZeneca jab.

Dr. Christopher Tufton, Health Minister.

He says the government is awaiting word from the US government to confirm the date of the next expected shipment of Pfizer vaccines.