A Police Constable, who was accused in 2013 of being part of a team of policemen who forced a man into the bushes and shot him and left him for dead, was convicted in the gun court in downtown Kingston this afternoon.

In 2013, Constable Sherwood Simpson was charged by the Independent Commission of Investigations, INDECOM.

Simpson was convicted today by Justice Lennox Campbell of illegal possession of fire arm and wounding with intent.

The case is the first major conviction for INDECOM which conducted the investigation.
It was prosecuted by the office of the DPP.

Prosecutors outlined how in December 2013, the complainant, Rayon Mahoney, who was on a gun charge for which he was later acquitted reported to the Castleton Police Station in St. Mary.

According to the evidence given by Mahoney, shortly after he reported to the Police he noticed a King Fish motor car driving behind the vehicle in which he was travelling.

Mahoney testified that his motor car was intercepted at a lonely spot. He says four Policemen emerged and brandished guns.

The complainant said he was forced into the bushes and taken to a place where the Policemen referred to as the office.

Mahoney said Constable Simpson stood beside him in a menacing manner and one of the other Policemen shot him in the side.

According to Mahoney, he ran for his life but fell some distance away. He said the Policemen pursued him and when he was located Constable Simpson shouted finish him off.

The complainant said at that point, one of the Policemen took an M-16 and shot him in the back of the head.

Mahoney said he pretended to be dead, but when the Police team departed he made his way to the main road where he requested assistance.

A report was made to the Annotto Bay Police and 4-men Policemen, including Simpson were detained. INDECOM commenced investigations but only Simpson was pointed out in the ID parade. He was charged by INDECOM.

Simpson is to be sentenced on June 26.
Constable Simpson is facing a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 years in prison.

Simpson attorney Peter Champagnie says an appeal will be filed.