Permanent Secretary in the Health Ministry, Dunstan Bryan, is now in quarantine at home after a Health Ministry worker tested positive for the coronavirus yesterday.
The worker is in hospital.
The worker had been in isolation after displaying symptoms of the Coronavirus earlier this week.
The Ministry of Health made the disclosure in a statement to the media last night.
The Health Ministry said the employee is assigned to its head office and would have been in contact with the permanent secretary.
According to the Ministry, in keeping with its protocol for infection prevention and control, it will suspend operations at the head office buildings in Kingston today.
The suspension is intended to secure the sanitization exercise in all the buildings.
The ministry also said counseling for staff members has started and will continue as necessary.
According to the Ministry, contact tracing at the head office has commenced as the health department seeks to interview, sample and test staff members, who would have had close contact with the employee in the last 14 days.
The ministry says its National Health Emergency Operation Centre, which has been managing the national response to COVID-19 will continue to operate and functionaries will work remotely or work from the centre.
The head offices are scheduled to re-open for normal operation on Monday, April 20.
Meantime, Health Minister, Dr. Christopher Tufton ,has reportedly tested negative for the Corona virus.
Reports in the print media say upon receipt of word of an employee at the Ministry’s head office testing positive, Minister Tufton was tested for the virus and was found not to have contracted Covid19.